Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gasoline Tanker Fire


Yesterday Pastor Meshack and I had the chance to go to the site of the recent gasoline tanker fire. It happened not too far from the baby center. Pastor Meshack is the new senior pastor at the Ngata African Gospel Church next to the baby center, where I am currently helping out with the youth. The site was very sad. We talked with one individual who lost one of his nephews. The place was devistated. The area burnt was something like the length of a football field. I have read that at least 120 people were killed. What I have also heard is that the tanker had flipped over. Then, people heard about it and came to take the fuel to sell. The local police, so I have heard, were charging people to take oil in order to make a profit themselves. One of the men got angry at a policeman and decided to light a match, which of course lit everything. I think they are going to have a mass burial site of many of the bodies because so many could not be identified. Hopefully, the local churches will be able to meet the needs of the victims' families. Next week our church is meeting with another local church to do a counseling seminar to help equip the leaders in the area to help the families. Our prayers are with them. ~Jeremy

2 comments:

Paul said...

Great blog Jeremy and Nicole. I look forward to hearing how things are going and praying that Nicoles gets better soon. One recommendation I have on your blog is to not use blue for your text. It makes it hard to read on the black background.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, guys. I especially like the blue font.