Saturday, February 7, 2009

Malaria.....yuck

Hi everyone, I am writing this post from bed right now and still wondering how I managed to contract Malaria after only 2 weeks in Kenya. Really bad luck I guess. My family always jokes that if someone is going to get some weird disease, it will be me. I seem to attract these sorts of things.
I am slowly starting to feel better. Fevers are now consistently staying down between 100 – 101 degrees now, so that’s a nice change. I just remain really lethargic and achy. I am able to keep food down now as well.
It was actually kind of a relief on Thursday when we went to the hospital and had my blood drawn and were told that I had Malaria. Up until that point we didn’t know what was happening. At least once we knew what it was we could do something about fixing it. Malaria is the number one killer in Africa, and now I can definitely understand why. We are fortunate enough to be able to afford to go to the hospital and pay for tests, exams, and treatment. Most people here don’t have that privilege. Jeremy has been wonderful taking care of me. I don't know what I would have done without him.
Thanks everyone for all the prayers and support. We will keep you updated. ~Nicole

6 comments:

Danielle said...

hey love,

i'm so glad you're feeling better, even if it is just a little. we've been thinking about you and praying for you multiple times everyday. i'm so sorry you are having to go through this, but i'm glad you're doing better. i love you so much & miss you already! keep improving so you can squeeze those little babies for me! ;)

love, D

The Elias Family said...

Hey Nicole, We're glad your feeling a little better. What a crappy way to start off your time there. We were lookin at pics of the babies. How cute are they?. I don't know if you've been able to take a look at our blog lately, but there's new pics of Kya on there. And we leave on our trip Feb. 25. Hope you get all the way better soon. Love you guys, Shawn Kris & Kaycee.

Valerie Kay said...

Wow Nicole! I can't imagine what you've been going through with being so sick and all. I'm so glad you figured out what it was and that you're on your way to recovery. I will be praying for you and I am so very very proud of you. Keep pressin on and know God will provide the strength you need. Love you lots, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart Nicole. Sounds like you've had an awful week. I will be praying for a speedy recovery and protection from any more Malaria attacks.

So good to see your posts and pictures. I am praying for you guys.

Missy Snyder

Anonymous said...

Hey good to hear that you are starting to feel better, i know you guys hadn't been down there long and already you got sick. I am hoping (besides the illness) that everything is going well and I pray that your work will continue to touch those around you, which I am sure it already has. Well anyways I hope you continually get better, both you and Jeremy are in our prayers.


Jeff & Holly

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better.
I am sure Jeremy is missing his partner.
Take care of yourselfs we are all back here thinking of ya.
uncle mark