Friday, April 3, 2009

Panya Hunting

We had an interesting day today at the Babycenter as we were hunting for some unwelcomed panya (rats)gideon2.  A few of the workers, including Sammy, Mwangi (pictured here and below), and I had a successful hunt.  Apparently, the Kenyans are not at all afraid of rats as they were enjoying the hunt.  One worker had even taken off his sandals to use as projectile devices and used his bare feet to kick africa 002the panya.  They were also trying to get the rats out from under tight places, so they would lay down on the ground with their face about 6 inches from where the rats were hiding in order to get a good view.  I guess they are not afraid of the rats having a good shot at biting their noses.  They were more courageous than I.  Nonetheless, I was able to kill two.  In all we killed 26, including 10 babies and 16 adults, and about 6 of them were big boys.  Nicole is glad that we are on the second floor.  We are both glad that my mom has already booked flights here so there is no turning back for her despite reading this post.  Even now, as I am writing this, Nicole is freaking out because of a spider crawling on her while she is in bed.  Such things are normal for the Kenyans here. ~Jeremy

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh Jeremy, you need to toughen up! I would have fought those rats bare-handed!! :)

Miss you guys,
Danielle

Jolinda said...

Hey, would you do another Panya Hunt before the June team gets there! I would greatly appreciate it!